Search This Blog

Thursday, August 15, 2013

Rest from the Savory: Snickerdoodles!

Throughout my pregnancy, the only real 'craving' I had was sugar.  Sugar is not something I had ever really loved.  Every now and then I would want a big bowl of ice cream or a piece of Costco cake, but I almost always chose savory and salty over sweet.  Well, my pregnancy with Connor changed that.  I could have cinnamon rolls and pancakes for breakfast, fudge and popsicles for lunch, cobblers, sour punch kids and chocolate truffles for dinner...and then turn around and have dessert after that!  Thankfully, the majority of my love for sugar left when Connor was born, but not completely.  So I've found a quick, easy and oh-so-yummy fix: Snickerdoodles.




I feel like the 'American' cookie leans toward being the plain chocolate chip cookie, but I am pretty picky about my chocolate chip cookie, and they are quite temperamental to make right every time...  So I'm out to change the go-to cookie!  Snickerdoodles are just as easy as chocolate chip cookies, just as fast to make, they are just as delicious, and heck, I think they are better looking than the boring ol' chocolate chip cookies!  Just picture it; the glistening bits of sugar next to the warm browns of cinnamon... yep, Snickerdoodles are the cookie for me!  So here's the recipe I use (tried and true, and they have always come out great!):  

Ingredients:
.5c margarine (not butter!)
.5c shortening
1c sugar

2 eggs
2.75c flour
2tsp cream of tartar
1tsp baking soda
.25tsp salt

Do it:
Cream together the butter, shortening and sugar.  Add the eggs one at a time until well mixed.  At this point, turn the mixer to high and let it go for about 30 seconds to a minute.  Add in the flour, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt.  Mix well.

Now, form the dough into balls (about the size of a quarter in diameter--definitely no larger than that).  It should make between 65-80 balls.  Roll the balls in a mixture of cinnamon and sugar (1c sugar, 2tsp cinnamon) and bake at 400degrees for 8-9 minutes.  Take them off the baking sheet to cool as soon as you can... and then try not to eat them all in one day!

No comments:

Post a Comment