Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Mushroom Risotto

Risotto... worth the effort.

Alright, so this is my second major attempt at a risotto.  Success!  This proves my theory that risottos are worth the time and effort.  As I came out on the other end today, plating my success, I realized that risottos really aren't that difficult, nor do they take much more time than other dishes.  Just a little TLC and you've got a delectable meal on the way!

First, I have to give my two cents about the rice: buy it from World Market (one of my all-time favorite stores), not from your local grocer.  The first risotto I made (see here) I bought my rice at my local Safeway and paid over 7 dollars for the box!  A few weeks ago I was meandering the food section of World Market and came across the exact same arborio rice, for 3 dollars less!  Yes friends, it really does (usually) pay to buy your oriental food items from oriental food places.

Anyway, to make the risotto:  chop up one large onion and saute in EVOO for about 3-4 minutes or until just becoming translucent.  While it is doing its thing, chop up about 4 cups of your favorite mushroom(s).  I used white button and portabellas.  Add those to your large skillet and saute for about another 5-7 minutes or until just getting soft (everything in the pan might just be a dark blackish-brown at this point from your mushrooms--this is okay!).  Now add your rice (1 and 1/2 cup) and saute it for about 3-4 minutes.  Finally, deglaze your pan with about 3/4 cup to 1 cup of white wine.  As you add the wine, add in 1 tsp of marjoram, 1/2 tsp garlic salt, salt and pepper to taste (you can add more later if you need to).

Alright, the deal is the same as last time from here.  As your are fixing up your veggies/rice, have 6-8 cups of chicken broth (you can substitute part of the liquid for plain water here if you want) in a large pot on medium heat so it is hot, but not boiling.  After you have deglazed your pan, add a ladle of broth at a time until it is soaked up.  Keep adding until your rice is al dente and saucey but not soupy.

Serve alone or with a nice juicy piece of chicken and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment