Search This Blog

Thursday, January 6, 2011

Pumpkin Pie

So my last post (pumpkin risotto) said I had two unused sugar pumpkins...  Well, I only use one for the risotto, so I was left with one in my crowded kitchen.  What to do... What to do?  Of course!  Pumpkin pie.  But HOW do I do it with a real pumpkin? 

Thank you Alton, for making it easier than I thought it would be!

For the crust: process up about 6 ounces of gingersnap cookies.  Add in about two tablespoons of butter until the cookies become crumbly.  Alton calls for ginger here... I left it out and don't feel like I missed a thing.   Move this into a pie pan and press into crust form.  Bake for 10 minutes at 350 degrees then take out of the oven to cool and to receive yummy pie filling!

For the filling: start again with one sugar pumpkin roasted.  This time, roast it without oil or pepper, just a little salt to help bring out the moisture.  Once again, puree the roasted flesh until smooth in your processor.  Put this into a sauce pan and bring it to a simmer.  Now add one cup half and half, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp freshly ground nutmeg.  Bring back to a simmer.

While that is cooking, whisk together two eggs, one egg yolk and 3/4 cup brown sugar in a large bowl.  After the pumpkin mixture has come back to a simmer, add it (slowly to prevent scrambled eggs) to the egg mixture then pour it right into your eagerly awaiting pie shell!  Bake at 350 for 45-50 minutes.  Take the pie out after the sides are set and the center is still a little jiggly.  Let your pie sit out for at least 3 hours (overnight is best) and then eat up!

No comments:

Post a Comment