Search This Blog

Sunday, August 8, 2010

Braised Cod

So as I was thinking about how to fix some fish I caught on sale yesterday, I realized I needed to branch out.  Seafood is one of those foods that most people find difficult, or scary to cook.  My go-to for a white fish?  Thinly slice a lemon, create a 'bed' out of the lemon slices, salt and pepper my fish, throw it on the lemon and bake simply because I know I can't mess that up.  It is always fresh, healthy and delicious, but it can also get old.  So today I went in search of something new, and totally different.

What I ended up with was a delectable, hearty and still very healthy braised cod.  I couldn't believe how hearty this dish ended up being, and it hardly adds any calories to the fish!  It is definitely worth a try, and if you love hearty dishes like roast, I truly believe this will get added to your recipe book!

Okay, so first things first, start your rice.  I used about 2 cups of brown rice for this and simply added 1tbsp of dried parsley, 1tbsp garlic salt, 1/4tsp freshly ground pepper, 1/2tsp salt, 2 cups chicken broth and 1 cup water.  Now just let it go  :)  Oh... just let it go if you have a rice cooker, that is.  If you don't own a rice cooker?  Go buy one at the store, and then come back to try this meal (it will seriously increase the quality of your life).

In the meantime, finely dice 1/2 of an onion, 1 large carrot and 1 celery stalk, and 2 cloves of garlic.  Throw them into a skillet with about 2 tbsps of EVOO, salt and pepper.  Cook it all down on medium heat until the onions are translucent (but not brown) and the carrots and celery are soft but not mushy.  Add 1tbsp italian seasoning, 1tsp ground coriander, 1/4tsp fennel seed, and a little more salt/pepper.



Now add one can of diced tomatoes and an optional can of kidney beans (I love beans!!  Without them this dish may not feel as hearty though, so if you want to go lighter, please feel free!) and about 2 cups of chicken broth.

Let this all cook together for a good 20 minutes, or until the broth part has reduced by about half.  Here is your chance for tasting (and drooling)!!  Add any salt/pepper/spices that it may need.



While the braising concotion is busy doing it's thing, cut your cod into about 3oz pieces (at least chunks that aren't going to fall apart).  Then stick it in the wonderfulness and let it cook for about 5-7 minutes.  Once it is white and flaky, you know it is ready (and hopefully your rice is ready at this point too!).



Finally, you can scoop your braised fish over rice, making sure you get lots of yummy beans and broth and take a bite!  You will be surprised at how well this dish actually brings out the flavors and sweetness of the fish instead of covering them up.  And heck!  This seafood dish was almost too easy!  I didn't even really have to mess with the fish, I just cut it, put it in the braising sauce, and then ate it!  Yes, life is good.  To be sure, this dish will make your day   <3 

No comments:

Post a Comment