Search This Blog

Thursday, July 31, 2014

Apple Fritters

So if you're gonna deep fry, do it right.


Honestly, I really dislike foods that need to be deep fried, because I hate the work that comes with deep frying.  The fact is, it isn't that much work to set up the deep frying stuff, but rather the work that goes in to the prep of the food... so I don't deep fry very often at all.  And when I do, I want to make the most of it, so I try to make everything deep fried. Last night's dinner was a one-dish type of food: pirozhkis. I had never made these before, and I had only eaten them once before from a food truck, so it was experiment night to be sure.  My husband's grandma is Russian, so he had pirozhkis growing up for different special occasions, which added another layer of difficulty since I never got a chance to try the ones his mom and grandma made.  Needless to say, I had my work cut out for me, but I'm a trooper!

Okay, now I know you are probably confused as to the title being Apple Fritters yet I'm rambling on about pirozhkis.  I just felt I needed to explain how hard this meal was so I can get some sympathy. ;)  Actually, I am going to do a pirozhki blog some day when I am totally happy with the turn out, and I need a little practice.  My husband liked the pirozhkis but the filling (which I made up) wasn't anything like his mom's so I think I will do it again and test her filling out.  So, since I spent all that work on a deep fried dinner, I wanted a fast and easy deep fried dessert.  Hence, Apple Fritters.  Basically, pancake batter with apples and cinnamon and the optional (for some) icing.  Here's the low down:

In a mixing bowl add in:
-two eggs
-2/3 c milk
-1 tbsp oil
-3 shredded apples

-1 tbsp ground cinnamon

Mix thoroughly then add in:
-1 1/2 c flour
-1/2 tsp salt
-1/4 c white sugar

-2 tsp baking powder

Stir until it is all combined.  It should be a somewhat thick, but still loose batter.  Drop spoonfuls into your oil (heated to about 360) and let it fry until golden brown.  You should let it cook about 45 seconds to 1 minute on each side.  If they are light brown, turn the oil up a little bit. 

Once they are done frying, drain them on some paper towels for a few minutes, then plate them and drizzle with a simple powder-sugar icing, or toss them in cinnamon and sugar, or eat them plain!  It will all taste good, I promise. 


No comments:

Post a Comment