Search This Blog

Saturday, March 26, 2011

Bountiful Basket Numero Uno

So this morning I headed out bright and early to get my first bountiful basket (yay!!).   My overall reaction?  Super!  It was really exciting because I love food, and I find this as a new food challenge.  If you like cooking and trying new foods, I really recommend this (yes, already).  Why?  Because it will challenge you to find new and interesting ways to cook food, or even try new foods.  

A little information about bountiful baskets... each week you can purchase a produce basket for a flat rate of $15 (plus $1.50 for handling) which will contain half fruits and half veggies.  Bountiful Baskets also offers many other 'add-ons' which you can purchase in addition to your basket (ex: $10 for 5 loaves of bread).  So for my first time (first timers also pay an extra $3 for the baskets), I just ordered the conventional basket.

Here is the low-down on what my baskets contained this week:

The vegetable half of my basket was good... contained carrots, lettuces, spinach, sweet potatoes, zucchini and asparagus.  The zucchini and asparagus are both beautiful and I can't wait to eat them... actually I will probably grill one of them tonight for dinner!  The only negative in the veggie half was that the lettuce is really limp already, so I will need to use it up quick, but other than that, there are no issues!

The fruit half of my basket was especially exciting!  In this half I got apples, tomatoes, mangoes, grapefruit, bananas and a cantaloupe. The tomatoes are very nice and I love apples and bananas so those will definitely be put to good use, but the other fruits I don't buy as often, especially mango.  The mangos are pretty ripe so I will probably find something fun to do with them today (see how this is already testing my food and creativity skills?!).  Everything else will be good for a week or two before they have to be eaten.

So, overall I am very happy with my first experience and I will try to occasionally add posts with what I received in my bountiful baskets week to week.  I encourage you to try it out!

1 comment:

  1. I think you should try your luck at mango salsa and I can be your taste tester.

    ReplyDelete