Search This Blog

Sunday, September 12, 2010

Minty Peach Bread Pudding

Okay, I'm just going to have to get this out of the way:  I don't understand how anyone can enjoy the flavor of mint when eating dessert....  I mean seriously, its like you are brushing your teeth with your sugar-filled dessert and to me it doesn't make sense.  Perhaps I just haven't found the correct dessert with minty-deliciousness, but even I haven't been able to make something to please myself with a mint dessert.

Though I hate mint, yes, I had to try this recipe for those of you who may like mint.  Mint+Peach+Bread Pudding.  First of all, bread pudding is one of my favorite desserts because I almost always have everything on-hand.  It is a great, homey and comforting dessert and is also pretty much fool-proof (I love these mix-and-bake delicacies that require no real hard work).  I would have been in heaven had I left out the mint...  I liked it, but I would have loved it more without having to think about my toothbrush.  Anyway, everyone else seemed quite pleased:

Take some stale bread (I used left-over french bread from dinner) and load it into a 9x13.  If you don't have dried crusty bread, chop up whatever you do have and put it in the oven on broil for a few minutes to dry it out really well.  You want the bread to be as dry as possible without falling to crumbs so that it will soak up your liquid-goodness.

Alright, now mix together:
2 cups of fat free milk,
2 eggs,
1 cup of white sugar,
.25 cup of brown sugar,
.5 cup of melted butter,  
1 tbsp cinammon,
1 tsp freshly ground nutmeg,
1 tsp dried mint (optional).

Okay, for the real delicious heart-attack version you may substitute the fat-free milk for one cup of heavy whipping cream and one cup of whole milk... yes, definitely going to be a more dense, heavy and creamy pudding, but also loaded with more than double the calories...

Mix a can of diced peaches into the bread in the baking dish, add some of juice if you wish, but not too much.  You could substitute about half a cup of the milk if you really want to add all of the peach juice for a sweeter pudding.  Now pour the milk mixture over all the bread pieces and squish down any bread pieces that are sticking too far out of the liquid.  Let it sit for about 10-15 minutes, then bake on 350 for about 30 minutes or until it is bubbling and the top is a golden brown.  Bring it out of the oven and let it sit for at least 10 minutes before serving  :)

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you on the mint. I think the only place it might work is with something chocolate, so it would be like Girl Scout Thin Mints!

    ReplyDelete